Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Why Not Become a Foster Parent???

We receive many inquiries from the public asking how they can help the animals in need.   One way way is to become a Foster Family!
Kit and Jude were foster animals!
Fostering gives us the opportunity to prepare animals for their forever home.  The fosters get much needed exercise and socialization, plus it allows us to learn about the animal's personality so we can match them with their new family.  

Laurie DeFlippo is one of our foster parents.   Here's what she says about fostering:

Laurie DeFlippo
"I foster animals from the pound.  I find this to be the best part of being a member of FOPCP.  Sometimes I only have an animal for a day or two.  Then there are times that we may have them for weeks or even several months.

People tell me that they could NEVER foster dogs or cats because they would become so attached to these animals that they wouldn't be able to let them go into another home for permanent adoption.  I have to say that there have been times when I have cried all the way home after sending a special one off to a rescue.  I wouldn't be human if I didn't get emotionally attached to these wonderful and very grateful dogs.  I also know that if I didn't get that dog or cat out of the pound,the chances of it being placed in a forever home is anyone's guess.  By me taking this animal into my home,getting it the medical attention it needs and finally finding a permanent, loving home for it, then I have made a difference in the life of this animal.  If I chose to keep it, I wouldn't be able to go get another one out and save it.  This "THING" that we foster parents do is extremely hard on our emotions, but when we get an e-mail and photos from the new parents telling us how loved and wanted their new pet is, we know it was worth it.

Feeding Time!
If I take an animal out of the pound to foster and we can not find a home for it, I know that it will NEVER go back to the pound again.  I know that it will NEVER have another litter or help produce another unwanted litter again.  I know from the minute I take this homeless, unwanted animal into my life, that it will be loved and treated with dignity and respect.

One person can make the difference in the life of one animal.  I have made the difference in the lives of hundreds of animals.  The Friends of Powell County's Pets have made the difference in the lives of thousands of animals.  I am so proud to belong to this small but mighty group of people.  And even though my three dogs sleeping on the bed in the spare room can't talk, I'm pretty sure they are glad that I am a volunteer too.  My husband jokingly refers to them as "Failed Fosters." They just know they are loved!"

Contact us if you would like to become a foster family!  Info@fopcp.com

2 comments: